I am Attorney Jill Ruane and I am an injury lawyer in Connecticut.

I am a personal injury and accident lawyer who helps people injured in accidents or through the negligence of others in Connecticut. My main office is in Shelton and I also have offices in Hartford and meeting locations throughout the state and can represent you or your loved one in any town in the State.

If you or a loved one has been injured, you need the assistance of a dedicated, aggressive attorney. I can be that attorney.

My team has successfully represented people in cases where:

  • Clients have been passengers in cars that have been hit
  • Clients have been rear ended by careless drivers
  • Clients have have been injured by drunk drivers
  • Clients have been hurt by the malpractice of doctors, nurses or nursing homes.

My clients are normal everyday people who, just like you, are worried about the impact of on their life of the injury they suffered and want to be compensated so they can pay for medical bills and treatment as well as the pain and suffering they endured. They span the ethnic, economic and age ranges.

Call me today to see how me and my team of lawyers and paralegals can help you with your injury case. Hope is not a strategy – calling us is.

Call today for FREE case review.
Call now 203-925-9201

Recent Blog Post

Top 3 Cruise Ship Accidents and What To Do About Them


I went on a cruise with my family in July.

It was quite enjoyable. Every day, I went to the gym, played ping-pong with my brother, ate amazing food, swam, sat in the sun and read, and relaxed.

I must say, I have a few complaints, though. I got sunburned one day, one night I had trouble sleeping because the boat was rocking, and while trying to watch the World Cup finals, we sailed into a storm and we lost reception!

Ok, these are completely mild complaints – “white-people problems”, as some might say. But in all seriousness, not everyone has as pleasant a cruise experience as I did. What starts out as a relaxing, fun vacation can turn into an absolute nightmare if you are injured while on the ship. It is important to know that the cruise line you sail with is responsible for your safety while you are on the ship AND in port. This means that if you were injured at any time of your vacation, the cruise company might be responsible.

Determining responsibility for an accident will depend on negligence, just as in any other personal injury case. If you can prove that the cruise line had a duty to you that it failed to fulfill, and you were injured as a result, you might be able to receive compensation. Here is a list of the top 3 most common accidents that occur on cruise ships.

  • Food poisoning. Food poison can be pretty minor, but in some cases, it can become very severe. A small amount of contaminated food on a ship might not seem like a big deal, but in a confined space, it can spread quickly. Even if your food is not contaminated, the fact that you are in such close proximity with so many other people over the course of your vacation can mean that you will get sick as well, especially if the stomach flu – also called the norovirus – is going around. If you do get food poisoning, you might be able to get a refund from the cruise line, or an attorney can help you recover damages.
  • Slip and Fall Accidents. I almost had one or two run-ins with slip and fall accidents while on my vacation. This is because there are just so many opportunities for passengers to slip. I mean, you’re in the middle of an ocean! You’re gonna have run-ins with water over time. Maybe the sea is a bit choppy and some waves spray over the side of the boat. Or water from the various pools and hot tubs on the ship spills over the side. Combine these slippery decks with children running around or elderly people trying to get from point A to point B and you’re bound to run into some slip and fall accidents.
  • Missing persons. You’ve probably seen news stories about people that go missing on vacations – especially cruises. This can occur if people accidently fall overboard, get lost on an island, or are not back on the boat before it sets sail for the next port.

These are some of the most common accidents that can happen on a cruise ship, but there are many others. To discuss your situation and determine if you have a case, you can contact me.